Saturday, July 25, 2009

People often ask me what's it like to be vegan, how I became it, or why even be vegan? To that, I answer: First, I'm not vegan. Rather, I am someone that does not want to consume anything that is not natural (artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, chemicals, etc). Second, I didn't really "choose" this way of living, I evolved into it. I have researched and continue to research tons of healthy, alternative, and holistic practices that oppose the "mainstream diets" of junk and living very incoherently. The more I have learned, the more I have put into practice. My stays in the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico--where I was able to really eat naturally and expand my diet and variety--were most influential. My anarchist friends, Samuel and Mirella from Puerto Rico, were also most helpful in hands-on influence. We would pick our own things and prepare them, it was wonderful! Lastly, being "vegan,"--for lack of a better word to describe what I really am--feels just fine. I can't tell you that I feel better than a normal consumer or healthier than one, but I can tell you that I feel better and lighter, both physically and metaphysically. Anyone can argue the benefits of eating meat or not eating meat, but no one can argue how you feel about your own practices. That is the importance of living with an open mind and open heart. You, like me, might arrive to a point where you stop asking everyone else "how it feels" and wind up following your spirit and trying it all yourself! Not everyone is the same! Some vegan things might still cause me harm, just like some plants are still as poisonous as meats. The most important thing, I think, is to think!

No comments:

Post a Comment