Thursday, August 13, 2009

This is the most crowded and isolated place in the world is what my friend Crystal says. She's right. She's right because when you're walking home at 3:38 in the morning you realize that the only bright and cheery thing in these streets are lit store awnings. Sprint, Verizon, Foot Locker--you name it--all shining brighter than our poor souls tonight. They are bright and we are dim. They are on and we are off.

Does anyone realize? Probably, but there are enough beers, bars, bags, trips, drugs, shows and fads to beat yourself senseless with. And that is what they do. They entrench themselves so deeply in the lives of onscreen acting vampires and fairy tales that they forget about anything. The vampires in True Blood are real, they drain your blood, they distract you from ever engaging in True Life. And this is what goes on with every popular show and popular outing. Everything is made to pull our strings and engage our conscious, so that it only believes what it sees and never actually operates in thought. It only repeats quotes and follows up on Facebook comments. In reality there are not that many "friends" and no one is that social.

They enjoy the box's company and the box enjoys theirs. From one box to the next. One with colors that talks back, one with colors that talks back and has popcorn and soda, another that plays music and serves alcohol, another with orders and tasks that enslave and pay with a bi-weekly reward, and so on and so forth. Everyone loves the box. The box is so beautiful, the box is so bountiful.

1 comment:

  1. The box is...
    getting old!
    I want so much more...
    I didn't make a conciuos decision to stop drinking and smoking, but I've started to less and less. Now that I've started, I guess it has become a choice that I'm much more aware of and much less drawn to. I do feel like I am operating on a clearer frequency than before, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete